Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Giving Thanks


In class on Sunday we began to understand that our relationship with the poor is not so much a reaction (compelled by guilt or compassion) to real needs but rather our personal response to God’s love finding expression in our acquaintance with ‘the least of these’. In the same way that ‘Christ has no hands but ours’ when it comes to doing the work, he also can most tangibly receive our gratitude and love through the outstretched hands of humans in need. I think I should have already known this, or knew it in some capacity, but when I get down to the business of giving thanks, this thought feels new. The address to which I send my thank you note to Jesus is in Soweto. If I want to hug my Lord, I will need to drive down to the soup kitchen. If I want to really look into His eyes and tell him all that He means to me, I am compelled to listen to the story of a mother on the other side of the globe as she cries because there is nothing to feed her children.

“Then the King will say, ‘Whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’” Matthew 25:40

No comments:

Post a Comment