Monday, February 1, 2010

Is my Jesus God-sized?

Do I have to answer honestly?
Could I answer honestly?
Exodus 20, familiar because it is home of the 10 Commandments says that "when the people saw the thunder and lightening and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance and said to Moses, "Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die." I know the best friend, pocket-Jesus I have clutched close to my heart since elementary school is a dim reflection of his full self. But even with my bite-sized Jesus, I confess I have often preferred a mediator between myself and scripture. The stand-alone bible is beautiful and awesome and sometimes raw, especially in its instructions regarding my attitude towards the poor.
So, I am afraid it is true. Twenty-seven years into my life with Christ, and I suddenly realize I don't know his size. How embarrassing, when I think back to all the sweaters I have bought him for Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... interesting thought. I believe I'm in the boat with you.

    But I don't think God expects us to know how big He is. We're human, He knows what we know. Clearly, our brains cannot fathom what HE is. It IS fun to imagine... and exciting to know we'll experience it one day.

    ReplyDelete